Tuesday, February 17, 2009

No Heat

Sunday night around 10 John noticed that the heater was blowing cold air and that it was already a couple of degrees colder in the house. So I went up added another blanket to the kids and then sat down to watch tv while John worked on the furnace. I was pretty confident that he would figure out what was wrong and it would be no big deal. After two hours it became apparent that John was not going to get it fixed. By this point the house was pretty cold. It was also at this point that I was wishing I would have called some friends to borrow some space heaters. But now it was after midnight and I didn't want to call anyone in the middle of the night.

So John and I went up stairs piled several blankets on the kids and several on our bed. The night wasn't to bad. The kids did well except Katelyn who likes to kick her blankets off so I got up several times to make sure she was still covered. By morning the house was a freezing 56. I think my little sister who slept in the basement faired the worse. It is usually several degrees colder in the basement. She said she got so cold she put the blankets over her head.

John got up early and got a fire going. I put coats on the kids and shut all of the doors. I then turned the oven on. About every 10 minutes I would open the oven to let all of the warm air out into the kitchen. This actually worked well. We also called a friend and borrowed a space heater. With these three things going we were able to warm the kitchen and the living room up to about 65 degrees. This was much more bareable then the 56. Luckly the furnance guy came out after lunch and was able to fix it. Also we were lucky that it was an easy fix and did not cost us very much. This morning I was very grateful to wake up to a working furance. It is amazing how fast your house gets cold especially at night.

5 comments:

CMN said...

And just think... those pioneers went the whole winter without a furnace! Yes, I've actually pondered on that and am Extremely Grateful for the blessings of modern heating, air conditioning, and plumbing. We really DO have it pretty great!

Medsker said...

56...Janet likes our bedroom around 55, I would love 56 :-) Of course when the kids come over she keeps it at 70 the whole time they are here.

sarahhicken said...

What no phone call?!?! We would have come over to help. Next time call. But more importantly there won't be a next time.

Denise said...

That's funny we had heater problems this time last year too. Of course we had to get a new heater. You are lucky it was an easy fix. Why don't heaters break down when it is only a little cold. They seem to always break down in the dead of winter.

Jessica said...

No heat! What a bust. I'm glad it was an easy/relatively inexpensive fix.