Monday, June 2, 2008

Our Fish With 9 Lives

Back when John and I were young newlyweds we bought a 20 gal fish tank. For several years we had fish. When we moved to our new house 5 years ago we decided not to set the fish tank back up. If I remember correctly we didn't have that many fish and the last few had died a few months before we moved in. Well last March I had this great idea to set the fish tank back up and get more fish. (Unfortunately I had forgotten how much work it is to take care of a fish tank.) The kids of course loved it but after a few months the novelty wore off and I was getting tired of cleaning the tank.

Shortly after Katelyn was born we decide it was time to get ride of the fish tank. John suggested we just flush the 3 fish we had left but I just couldn't do it. I just felt cruel. So he went and bought a 2 gal tank that how sits in our kitchen. Well since that time the following things have happened.

- Went out of town for 5 days and didn't feed the fish.
- Jake poured a whole can of fish food in the tank. By the time I got around to cleaning out the tank (the next morning) I could not see the fish in the water.
- I have been terribly neglectful in keeping the tank clean. I usually wait until it is really dirt before I clean it.
- Jake poured an entire bottle of salt and pepper in the tank.

Now surprisingly the fish have not died. I mean it seems that people are constantly telling me that they can not keep fish alive. I don't know what kind of super fish I have but they will not die. I think they are just hanging on to spite me.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That's funny. Paul and I couldn't stop laughing. Those are some pretty durable fish to withstand all that.

Lacey said...

I am calling PETA right now!

happy mom said...

I am so glad we don't have pets! do you remember our turtle? Did I ever tell you about all the abuse (not by me) well we could share! Maybe I will have to post about pets! if I ever get around to it.

Kristy said...

Ever watch "Free Willy". You do live very close to a pond. I won't tell on you, promise!

Brook said...

Ha! I can't keep a fish alive to save my life. Tylee has had 2 fish and neither one of them lasted more than a week. Good luck!