So last night I went to a wheat class for enrichment. My friend Lacey taught the class and did a fantastic job. So after the class I came home to tell John all about it. I had a slice of bread that Lacey had made. When John tasted it he instantly fell in love with the bread. He ask me if I was going to start making homemade bread every week like Lacey. I told him if he bought me a $400 mixer I would. He just smiled and said sure, save up for it.
Anyways I was so inspired by the class I decided to get up this morning and grind some wheat. I have an old wheat grinder that my mother-in-law gave me. When I pulled it out John said, that thing is so loud is sounds like a jet engine. Of course I, the doubting wife, thought yeah right it can't be that loud. So I pull it out and start it up and it was loud, I mean so loud it made my head hurt. The boys were at the kitchen table and immediately stopped coloring to watch and the baby started to cry. So I took Katelyn to another room while it finished grinding the wheat. Once it was done I turned it off. The noise didn't stop immediately, it had to power down. It sound the exact same as an airplane powering down. So John was right it sounded like a jet engine.
Well I ended up with some beautiful grounded wheat. I was so excited. So I took some of the wheat flour and made banana bread. It turned out really well and the kids loved it. Next on my list is popping wheat. I will let you know how it turns out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I need a new computer, you need a mixer ... this could work for both of us. :)
Mmmm...homemade wheat bread. I remember my grandparents always ground their wheat in the basement because it was so loud. Have fun and good luck with the new mixer.
I'm so glad! Come over and grind some wheat ... mine sounds more like a lawn mower. Seriously, if you asked tight-wad Gator if he's sorry I spent a million bucks on my Bosch, he would now say absolutely not! It's so worth it! Let me know how your popped wheat goes.
I make our wheat bread and Jared and the kids love it!!!! I don't have a grinder though or a Bosh, just a kitchen aid. Ohh one day when Jared is done with school.....in 2014!!!!!! That is just sad:(
what is popping wheat?
will you teach me a class? I use wheat flour but I don't grind my own. my mom does, and it sounds like her grinder is like yours, they use it in the garage, because of the noise.
I am lost on the popping wheat thing as well.
I am lazy and just have a bread maker, still fresh bread and more often made but less expensive than a mixer.
Post a Comment