Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Soup, Mom's best medicine

So all last week me and the kids were sick. Well more me then the kids. At least they didn't act very sick. I mean we had the same cold so they should have wanted to lay on the couch all day but instead they were bouncing off the walls and begging me to play. But I digress, anyways while I was sick I kept thinking if I made this Cheesy Chicken Chowder I would feel better. But at last I could not get myself off of the couch long enough to make it.

Well this week I am better and last night I satisfied my craving and made the soup. And I will tell you I do feel better after eating it.



So now all I need is some of my friends yummy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and I will be completely healed.

Cheesy Chicken Chowder
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cup milk
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cup diced cooked chicken

In 4 qt saucepan bring broth to boil. Reduce heat; add carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes add potatoes and continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. (I usually do 10 on carrots and 15 on potatoes because I like them soft.) Meanwhile melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour and mix well. Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thicken. Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through.

1 comment:

happy mom said...

mmmm... it is always nice to have a new recipe. too bad my husband dislikes soup and veggies! but I will have to try it for myself. sadly the kids take after him, imagine that!