Monday, March 31, 2008

Kids

Well I thought I would update you all on my kids and the adventures we have been having.

First I will start with Ben. Recently I am constantly wanting to ask him how old he is. He has taken to coloring on the walls. And recently I came upstairs to find that he had drawn whiskers on Katelyn's cheeks (with pen) and put postage stamps in her hair. Poor girl. I don't know if this is trying to get attention because of the new baby or if he is just bored. Also Ben has become scared of monsters. Every night he goes to bed with his blankets over his head. When we go to check on him and pull the blankets down he is covered in sweat. I tell him that monsters are not real and he says, "I know but they still scare me." He has also taken to climbing in bed with us at night. I feel bad he is scared but he is such a hard kid to sleep with. He wants to snuggle up right next to you so you can barely move. A lot of times I go sneak into his bed and leave John to deal with him.

Jacob recently has been my terror child so when I decided it was time to get rid of the binkie I was really worried. But surprisingly it has not been that bad. One night we couldn't find it so I figured when we did I would just throw it away and be done. Well he only asks for it occasionally when he gets really sad. I tell him a few times that it is gone and then he lets it go. It is nice to have at least one thing be easy. As far as tantrums go he is getting much better at them. He is getting louder and can maintain the tantrum for much longer. He has even gotten to where he will come up to me and scream at me as loud as he can. Some days I wonder if he will ever grow out of it. Another thing we are dealing with is that he is very attached to Mom. He will get hurt and run right past John screaming "Mommy!" He will often wake up in the middle of the night wanting me. Well if I am feeding the baby John will go in but that just makes him more mad. So he will come into the baby's room and cry at my feet until I am done.

Katelyn I have decided has a split personality. One day she is happy and will go to anyone that wants to hold her. She will smile at them and laugh and everyone thinks she is so cute. Then she will have days where she will cry if anyone but Mom and Dad look at her. On Sunday she cried several times when my Mom and two of my sisters tried to say hi to her. That is, face crumbles and then full out crying. I am amazed at how sensitive she is. Also she is giving me all sorts of trouble with nursing but I won't go into that on my blog.

I love my kids but they sure do keep me guessing.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Steven has started to be scared of monsters to. I read this tip somewhere and it has really helped Steven. You get a spray bottle and tell him that it is monster repellant. Then he or you can spritz some water around the room to scare them away. It sounds corny, but for some reason it works at my house. Good luck.

Medsker said...

Valerie said: "Also she is giving me all sorts of trouble with nursing but I won't go into that on my blog."

and for this all of your male readers are grateful :-) Now if you could just talk to my sister about posting nursing stuff in her blog...

Kristy said...

I would have loved to see a picture of Ben's artistic abilities on his lil sister canvas. I've spent more nights on the couch than I care to admit. It's a sad thing to get kicked out your bed by someone not even half your size but hey you gotta do what you gotta do to get that much needed rest. If you get any good advise on how to handle the fit throwing please pass it my way. Yasmin and Ben must be passing tips to each other in Nursery. I'm not sure if this will help or not but I've basically have tried to tune her out when she starts in on the all out screaming. It makes her even madder that I won't respond to her and sometimes she does eventually give up. I'm hoping that she might learn that she won't get my attention if she acts that way but the truth of the matter is that I do get some enjoyment in irritating her back :)

Jessica Potter said...

You mean.. they get naughtier than what I am dealing with.
Well the positive thing is, at least your kids are SUPER cute. I mean they could be ugly and get in to trouble both, and that would be disturbing!

Denise said...

Good luck. I am glad it is you and not me. J/K. We are having our own struggles over at our house. I just have to keep repeating to myself that you never see a sixteen-year old drawing on his sister. Or at least you hope you don't

happy mom said...

sounds a little like my house with out the nursing and baby stuff. just the older kid stuff. I have to laugh at how much my kids are in bed with me, and then I chastize myself because I used to be so judgemental!