Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Knock Out

My boys have entered the realm of physical fighting and I am at a loss of what to do. What is a good punishment when they hit someone? Jacob is the one to usually start it, but Ben always finishes it. I keep telling Ben to come tell me if Jacob hits him but he just can't keep his cool. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am about to start keeping them in separate parts of the house.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Actually, separating the kids has worked pretty well for us. Our older son went through a phase of choking people who frustrated him. We finally told him that we didn't think it was safe to let him be around other people and until he could show us he could control himself better, he wasn't allowed to be near his siblings.

He spent a lot of time in his room by himself, but eventually he realized that all the fun things in the house were not in his room so he decided it was worth it to control himself around others.

Jessica said...

My kids beat on eachother to. I've just been doing the time-out thing, but sometimes it doesn't work very well. Good luck and let me know if you find a technique that works.

Brooke said...

just let them duke it out-- shouldn't that be punishment enough? Just kidding-- I still haven't figured out that one.

CMN said...

Okay, so when we were little... a drop of Tabasco sauce on the tongue was our punishment for fighting, biting, kicking, etc. I don't recall whether it immediately modified our behavior, but it definitely had an impact! (Notice that I STILL remember it!) There's nothing like sucking ice cubes and guzzling water to make you think twice about picking a fight.

My widowed brother-in-law, Brad, uses time outs VERY effectively with his four little boys. He sets a timer, puts them on a chair in the middle of the room, and that's it. Any interaction, climbing, playing, etc... timer gets reset to much howls of "Noooo!" But it works. He had to be very firm about it, but the results have been amazing and he has the most well-mannered children!